Making sense of it all

So basically, I belong to the clan of the storytellers. They light a bonfire every night, and tell stories of people that they knew. As the story unfolds under the stars, characters from their stories join us. What I love most about these sessions is that I can interrupt at any point and ask questions. So I ask the characters, why did you choose to do this. They tell me why, and I find out that the storyteller has slightly twisted the reality. So I ask the storyteller, why did you do this. It irritates me when they do not give direct answers. They ask me to think about it, and patiently go on. As the story comes to an end, the twisted versions start making sense..

When I seek answers for my own dilemmas, someone usually helps me. When none of them can, I feel very helpless. Then the storytellers say, that one day, when you have made sense out of it, you can tell us the story of a girl who demanded direct answers. I look again at the characters in the stories, and I see in the light that they are really not much different than those who created them. Then I realize, that making sense of it all is what it takes to create a story.

They all smile. In the flames dancing in their eyes, I find the reassurance that one day, I will have a story of my own.

Comments

Popular Posts